Where Do Your Illinois Tax Dollars Go?

 In Illinois, Pension, Taxes

Taxes in the State of Illinois are extremely burdensome in our state. Even though Illinois House Republicans stopped the progressive tax increase from moving forward, high taxes still contribute to the state’s loss of population and slow job growth.

A recent story by Illinois Policy looked into where your Illinois tax dollars are spent. They showed where your tax dollars go, including that about 25 percent of state revenue is consumed by government employee health insurance and pensions.

Those pension benefits continue to grow faster than incomes and have given every household in Illinois 56K in pension debt.

Here is the original story as reported by Illinois Policy:

Pensions and employee health insurance costs consumed nearly a quarter of Illinois’ fiscal year 2018 budget.

Today is Tax Day. With one of highest overall state and local tax burdens in the nation, Illinois taxpayers may be wondering: Where does all that money go?

Illinois state spending can be broken down into several broad categories. Funds for spending include not just money from taxes, but also money from licensing or user fees, penalties from regulatory actions and more. But for the purposes of tracking tax dollars, there’s one group of funds to look at in particular: general funds. The “big three” taxes – personal income tax, corporate income tax and sales taxes – generally account for more than three-quarters of all general fund revenue.

Where do Illinois Tax Dollars Go?Right off the bat, about 25 percent of general fund state revenue is consumed by government employee health insurance and pensions, according to the state budget summary for fiscal year 2018 prepared by the Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability. That leaves only 75 percent of tax dollars to divide up among core government services such as education, social services and public safety.

And the problem has grown worse over time.

According to the Governor’s Office of Management and Budget, growth in spending on government worker pensions and employee health insurance has far outpaced spending in every other area. From 2000 to 2018:

  • Spending on pensions has grown 663 percent
  • Spending on employee health insurance has grown 215 percent
  • Spending on preschool through high school education has grown 65 percent
  • All other spending has grown by just 16 percent

This is an unsustainable path for Illinois. Moody’s Investors Service has said Illinois owes $250 billion in pension debt. Unless the state structurally reforms its pension systems and addresses the growth in employee benefits, government worker retirement and benefit costs will increasingly crowd out core government services.

This story originally appeared in Illinois Policy on April 17, 2018, and was written by Adam Schuster



Tonia Khouri for State Representative 49th District


Illinois is Worth Fighting For (Video)

For more information: Read about Tonia Khouri, her experienceleadership, stand on the issues and her endorsements.


Recent Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt
Progressive Income TaxTonia speaking with Kane County supporters